Island-Hvar.info

Home       Hvar-destinations       Hvar-attractions       Accommodation on Hvar Island       How to reach Hvar (maps)       Video-gallery

hr  en  de  You are here: Island-Hvar.info - Hvar-attractions

 

Attractions on the island of Hvar

 

Hvar fortress

The fortress (or a citadel) in Hvar town, perched on a hill above the old town was built at the beginning of the 16th century (in the time of Venice). In 1579 it was restored after explosion of powder-chamber. Its final appearance came after many reconstructions. During French rule some additional reinforcement building was done. The barracks and observation post were built during Austrian rule. It hosts a prominent collection of amphorae and other objects from the ancient times and the Middle Ages. From the fortress toward the town square lead the city walls, built in the Middle Ages. This fortress dominates over the city. There is a beautiful panorama view of the town of Hvar and Pakleni Islands from the fortress.

Hvar fortress

Hvar fortress

Hvar fortress

The Cathedral of St. Stephan
in Hvar town

The Cathedral of St. Stephan in Hvar town (left) stands on the eastern side of the main square. It was built on the site of an early 6th century church. Present appearance the Cathedral received in the 16th and 17th century.

The arsenal in Hvar town (right) was built in the 13th century. The theatre was built on the first floor of the arsenal in 1612. It is one of the oldest in Europe and the first municipal one as well.

The arsenal and theatre
in Hvar town

The Franciscan monastery
in Hvar town

The Franciscan monastery in Hvar town (left) was built in 15th century as a retreat for sailors. Within the monastery there are the artifacts exhibited in the monastery collection which is also the oldest on the island. It consists of paintings, manuscripts, old coins and incunabula.

Hvar town loggia and a clock tower (right) from the 15th century together are the only remains of the former Governor's Palace.

Hvar town loggia
and a clock tower

The Hektorović Palace
in Hvar town

The Hektorović Palace in Hvar town (left) is one of the finest late Gothic houses. The building of the Palace started in 1463 and was never completed.

Tvrdalj of Petar Hektorović in Stari Grad (right) is the fortified mansion of Petar Hektorovic, the poet (1487-1572), the author of the first realistic epic poem of Croatian Renaissance literature "Fishing and conversations about fishing"

Tvrdalj of Petar Hektorović in Stari Grad

Remains of ancient town Faros
in Stari Grad

Remains of ancient town Pharos in Stari Grad (left) - Stari Grad, the oldest town on the island and one of the first in Europe, was founded by the ancient Greeks in 385/384 BC as an independent polis of Pharos.

The church of St. Stephan in Stari Grad (right) was built in the 17th and 18th century.

Church of St. Stephan
in Stari Grad

St. Anthony church in Sućuraj

The church of St. Anthony in Sućuraj (left) was built in 1663. During Venetian rule Sućuraj was at the point where three borders met; the Venetian, the Turkish and the state of Dubrovnik. Many of refuges came to Sucuraj from the coast in the 15th century, fleeing from the Turks. Refuges become inhabitants of Sućuraj and built this church. It has a distaff-styled baroque bell tower. The church has an archaeological collection of Sućuraj.

The lighthouse in Sućuraj (right) on the east cape of the island of Hvar was built in 1889. Close to this lighthouse there was the oldest one (from the beginning of 19th century), destroyed in the Second World War.

Lighthouse in Sućuraj

Fortress in Sućuraj

The fortress (or fortica) in Sućuraj (left) - During the Venetian-Turk wars Sućuraj was robbed and burnt three times. Cause of that fortress was built in 1613. It was damaged in the WW2. Photo of it before damaged can be viewed here.

The Franciscan (old Augustan) monastery in Sućuraj (right). Its original construction date is not known, but it was first rebuilt in 1309 and most recently in 1994.

The Franciscan monastery
in Sućuraj

Church - fortress
in Vrboska

Church – fortress in Vrboska (left) was built in 1575, when old church of St. Mary was fortified. It is one of the most prominent sights on the island of Hvar and a rarity in Dalmatia, situated on a slight rise in the centre of the town.

Bridges in Vrboska (right) - Vrboska is situated on the sides of a long and shallow inlet of the sea, which are connected by little bridges joining the two banks, thus giving the place a special charm.

Bridges in Vrboska

St. Ivan church in Jelsa

The Church of St. John in Jelsa (left) with the square that surrounds it, and the parish church, is one of the most harmonious and oldest parts of Jelsa. The church was built in the 15th century.

Grapčeva cave in Humac, near Jelsa (right) was the cultish place of a Neolithic Islander (5000 - 4000 years BC). The cave consists of a small hall and a larger one surrounded by hallways and chambers.

Grapčeva cave in Humac, near Jelsa

 


Apartments Hvar, Croatia

 

Home       Hvar-destinations       Hvar-attractions       Accommodation on Hvar Island       How to reach Hvar (maps)       Video-gallery




Croatia

Site map
Contact

©
Island-Hvar.info